LABRADOR RETRIEVER WATERCOLOR ART
by SHEILA WEDEGIS

Sunday, January 16, 2011

WATERCOLOR DOGS BY SHEILA M.WEDEGIS

A fellow dog artist, Stacey Jasmin, sent me a photo of her Trailer Walking Coonhound.  I loved the light and dark in the photo to begin with so I started.  The process is different than my oils. I need to think light to dark now because once the dark area is painted there's really no going back.  Not with pure color that is.  I needed to plan my white areas and leave that part of the paper untouched. 

I lightly sketch in my drawing and oh yes, there is erasing and redoing.  Measuring and angle checking to make sure everything lines up correctly. With oils, all is forgiven and can be painted over.

Next step was to wet the taped 300lb watercolor paper. I'm ready.  It to the entire Steelers playoff game to do. (Good thing I'm a Patriots fan!)

This original is going to Stacey. She is doing one of my Labs in a great swap. You need to see her work. She does fantastic Pit Bull art., bringing to life the sensitive, soulful part of the dog. I have to say I have been afraid of Pits,( a half Pit,half Lab and Fergus had an awful fight.) but seeing her work I see the different loving side. I hope all people get to see this side of the dog.     http://www.staceyjasminfineart.com/

Thanks for looking and I hope to see some of your pets in watercolor soon!   Sheila

To purchase a print of this painting in canvas or paper, please go to my Fine Art America site.
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/peaceful-moment-sheila-wedegis.html   "Peaceful Moments"

1 comment: